A Bile Duct Cancer Survivor's Experience

 Introduction

Bile duct cancer is rare. However, I was one of those rare patients who developed the disease. It was back in December 2020 when I started experiencing the symptoms. Initially, I felt sick to my stomach. Then, the next day I still felt ill and noticed the whites of my eyes turned yellowish. At first, I did not pay too much attention to it, but as the day went on, the colour of my eyes did not improve. I consulted my family doctor, and he prescribed me a blood test. I was diagnosed with Hepatitis A. To confirm the diagnosis, I went to a local hospital. Not only was the Hepatitis A diagnosis confirmed, but the doctor also identified perihilar cholangiocarcinoma, a rare form of bile duct cancer. 

best surgical oncologist

I chose to Fight

The news about my cancer left me devastated. However, I knew I had to fight, and I had to seek treatment. I searched online and came across the best oncologist in Kolkata. He was very kind and empathetic towards my condition. He answered and clarified all of my questions and told me about the treatment procedure. The doctor suggested I undergo surgery, as tests revealed that 30 per cent of my liver could be kept intact. Following the doctor's recommendation, I was scheduled for surgery on 2nd March 2021.

 

From conversations with the doctor, I learned the risks of surgery and that it was essential for my future well-being that all the cancer be removed. I wasn't scared. I couldn't wait to have another chance at being healthy.

 

The eight-hour surgical procedure removed the entire left lobe of my liver, along with the common bile duct and a portion of the right lobe. It was a pervasive operation where the best surgical oncologist reconstructed my entire biliary system.

 

I am not facing any issues in the nine months since my surgery. I go for my routine check-ups and imaging studies to verify that the tumour has not returned, and all reports to date have come back clear. These regular check-ups will continue for at least five years. The doctor and his team saved my life.

Post a Comment

0 Comments